Ready to go DEEPER emotionally with your writing and create powerful connections with your readers? Looking for a group that’s going to challenge you to grow in your craft and push you to get words on the page? Have a good understanding of deep POV, but know there are areas you just can’t quite get right?
The Deep Dive Author Membership might be just what you need!
The Deep Dive Author Club Membership is an extension of the 5 week Method Acting For Writers Masterclass. The membership is an opportunity for feedback on longer works to help you apply deep POV to your whole novel! This curated critique group is designed to help you learn in the biggest leaps possible.
You’re Placed In A Small Group
This is an ongoing monthly membership that opens 2 – 3 times a year. Your first month you submit up to 10 pages a week for three weeks and a 5-sentence synopsis of the novel you’ll be working on.
After that first month, you’ll be placed in a critique group of no more than four other writers (ideally with others writing in the same genre). You remain in that group until you choose to leave the membership, begin working on a new novel in a different genre, etc.
Once you’re in a smaller group, you submit up to 10 pages for critique on Thursdays via our secure Slack channel. You read and comment on the work from the other members of your small group and receive their feedback (as well as Lisa’s) by Sunday midnight. We take the last week of every month off – so you submit three weeks out of four every month.
What You Get
In addition to the marked-up Word file critique (or .rtf), everyone receives a video critique. This is a Loom video sent privately via email where some of the thinking behind the comments are explained plus you’ll get one quick tip for going deeper.
Once a month, an exclusive teaching video is posted for all members.
What You’re Committing To:
- Providing feedback to all members of your small group by Sunday midnight three weeks a month – without exception.
- Submitting up to 10 pages (double-spaced, 12pt font) a week for three weeks every month. You may repost pages you’ve already received feedback on, or pages new to the group. Ideally, the pages are posted in consecutive order. On the week where we don’t post new pages is when the teaching video will be posted. There won’t be breaks for holidays or vacations.
- Creating a 5-line synopsis of the novel you’re working on (there will be instructions).
- Taking the comments from the previous week’s crits and editing the next week’s submission accordingly. Because of this, it’s wise to have at least a first draft of a novel when you begin the membership.
- You may leave the membership at any time, but you may be charged at a higher rate if you choose to return at a later date.
- There are no refunds. Payment is through Paypal exclusively. An understanding of Slack or a willingness to learn the platform is essential.
**Lisa is not a professional editor.** She is a trained teacher and a writer who geeks out about deep point of view and going deeper with emotions in fiction. These longer critiques will consider plot and other structure issues, but to get the most out of the critiques, it is advised that writers who join have a good understanding of plot, character arc, tension, and maintaining conflict.
This Will Be Tough!
This is a commitment to your work and you are accountable to others to keep up. Part of the value is the critiques from others, so if one or two in a group flakes – that’s value lost.
Lisa is fair but tough. Critiques will not be sugar-coated, but they will not be cruel either. There will be no empty pats-on-the-back so if you receive a well-done know that you’ve earned it.
What If Life Happens And I Can’t Submit Pages Or Give Critiques One Week?
Hey – people get sick. Stuff happens. I get it. You may request via email up to two golden apples in a six-month period. You may use a golden apple to:
- Take a week off submitting (but still must do the crits for others)
- Take a week off critiquing (no pages can be submitted)
If you request a golden apple more than twice in six months (without reasonable explanation) you may be removed from the group. There is no tolerance for drama llamas and sassy pants. Other group members may write on themes or include scenes that some may find objectionable – strong objections to particular kinds of content should be disclosed before being placed in a small group. Warnings, when necessary, will be included when pages are posted. (ie. This week, my pages include discussions about suicide. This week has a smexy sex scene.)
**No erotica fiction (of any stripe) is to be posted. Fiction that glorifies violence is not to be posted.**
This membership will stretch you.
Plan to set aside 15-30min per critique each week, plus whatever amount of time you feel you’ll need to write/rewrite your own submission each week.
“The most difficult part is writing and turning in 10 pages a week, but I wouldn’t change that! It drove me to produce knowing that others were relying on me.” Student
“My writing has improved tenfold. I am now able to see and identify key issues. Early readers of my next release have commented on how much improvement they can see in my writing.” Student
Cart opens June 28th and remains open for two weeks. The monthly membership is $45CDN/month – charged monthly.